Monday, March 1, 2010

“I AM STILL GOOD AND WILL BE BACK SOON” - HASHEEM THABEET
Hasheem with his Dakota Wizards team mates
When news surfaced that Hasheem Thabeet is headed to the Development League (D-League), the reaction among Tanzanians especially the users of social networks such as Facebook and blogs were overwhelming.
I guess the big question in lots of folk’s minds was; what is a D-League? Does it suggest that he is no longer going to be playing in the usual NBA league? Well, it depends on a lot of things. You can read more about the D-League and its implications or benefits to Hasheem career by clicking here and also here.

The social networks such as Facebook and blogs were immediately stuffed with comments and opinions. Some were wishing him a “quick comeback “to the NBA, while some couldn’t hesitate to throw jabs on him in the sentiment of “we told you”.

The Memphis Grizzlies have just assigned center Hasheem Thabeet to the Dakota Wizards, Memphis’ NBA D-League affiliate. The assignment is the 23rd time an NBA player has been assigned to an NBA D-League affiliate this season.

Thabeet, the second overall selection in the 2009 NBA Draft, becomes the highest-drafted NBA player to join an NBA D-League roster. In 50 games for Memphis this season, he averaged 2.5 points, 2.9 rebounds and 10.3 minutes.

A 7-3 native of Tanzania, Thabeet played three seasons at the University of Connecticut, averaging 10.3 points and 8.5 rebounds in 100 career NCAA games. Named the Big East Co-Player of the Year and the Big East Defensive Player of the year in 2009, Thabeet was also a two-time NABC National Defensive Player of the Year. During his final campaign at UConn, Thabeet averaged 13.6 points, 20.8 rebounds and 4.2 blocks (second in the nation).

I guess the news was “worth the talk”, because not only Hasheem is the first Tanzanian ever to play in the NBA, but also the highest draft pick ever to go to the D-League.
Thabeet, who has played sparingly in his rookie season, averaging 2.5 points in 10.3 minutes over 50 games, has been optioned to the Dakota Wizards. He made his debut yesterday when Dakota Wizards played Erie Bayhawks. Dakota Wizards won 108-103.

Before his debut in the D-League, www.bongocelebrity.com had caught up with Hasheem with only one question my mind; his reaction following the demotion to the D-League. This is how it went;

BC: Hasheem, what is your reaction to
this whole thing of moving to the D-League?

HASHEEM THABEET: "My reaction about D-League…Uhmmm… well I’m excited to participate in the D-League. I’m looking forward to playing and maximizing this opportunity to be on court and use the skills that I have developed thus far rather than to be on the bench.

"Right now the key for me is consistency court time as I am still learning the Pro Game. I know Coach Hollins has my best interest at heart so I’m happy with his decision which I believe is to make sure that I stay active.

"Now I know this is the time for the haters and all the doubters to talk and say whatever they have because they have been waiting to bring me down for a minute. So it’s my downtime and I promise I’m not backing back.
"It’s a new saga that has started. Plus I’m still be getting the same cheque… it’s not like they are not gonna pay me the usual.
"So I’m still good and soon I’ll be back!!! And oh by the way, I’m only going there for 6 games. So I will be back sooner than they are thinking" says the towering Hasheem.

No comments: